“Maniac Magee,” by Jerry Spinelli

“Maniac Magee,” by Jerry Spinelli is a Newberry Award winning novel about a young homeless boy who becomes a legend in his town.

Maniac Magee made his name by doing things that other people thought impossible. Not only was he willing to visit the East End of town, where he was a white boy in a black neighborhood, but he could also play sports better than anyone else in town, and run faster than anyone else in town.

But there is one thing that Maniac Magee doesn't have: a real home, and parents who love him. “Maniac Magee” is the story of how this unusual boy made his reputation, and in the end changed the people of his town completely.

I felt that “Maniac Magee” was a well written story. The plot was a little hazy at first, mostly focusing on how the main character managed to impress the other children of his town and create an enduring reputation. I felt that Jerry Spinelli did an excellent job creating his characters, embodying them with remarkable traits and personalities, but the storyline itself was nothing special. “Maniac Magee” has the tone of an epic story, but its only strong point is its main character.

Overall I would say that “Maniac Magee” is an interesting book, but I don't think I would have given it a Newberry Award.

Inkweaver Book Rating:


Plot

Characters

Presentation

Overall



Your Rating:
Inkweaver Review 2009-02-05T09:56:00-06:00

10 replies so far. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

iffy book.

Anonymous said...

i think it was sort of confusing!

Anonymous said...

I think it is really well written and deserved every award it got.

dark elf said...

good plot, setting but the sad thing is racism 5/5!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i liked this book some of the parts were soooooo sad. it really showed me a lot about racism and how it can effect as small as a little town

Anonymous said...

I think the book was confusing.3/5

Anonymous said...

it is a good book also it is interesting.

Anonymous said...

I think that the book is very sad in different parts and that the book otherwise is awesome 5/5 rating from me! Lobed the book and would recommend to all.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you the racism is sad but I still loved the book!

Anonymous said...

To me it was very sad that racism could do that much to effect a small town.
P.S. Called Two Mills